- Analysing risk in the Middle East: lecture with E. Hokayem (from the IISS) – Sept. 27, 2017
Our society has had the honour to have an important researcher speak to us and to our members for our very first event of the 2017-2018 academic year. On September 27, Emile Hokayem, a well-known researcher on all things the Middle East, came to brief GPRIS society members not only on Middle Eastern tensions but also on what it means to be a researcher.
Specializing on the Gulf states, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Israel, Syria and Lebanon, Hokayem provided an interesting lecture about the various issues that plague the Middle Eastern region. Additionally, he gave our members some career tips to secure jobs in think tanks: languages, eye for detail, irreproachable writing skills.
With over 70 attendees, this marks the end of a successful first event with many more to follow.
- The Geopolitical implications of Russia’s foreign policy: lecture with Dr I. Sutyagin (RUSI) – Feb. 15, 2018
We were very pleased to welcome Dr Igor Sutyagin, senior research fellow for Russian studies at the Royal United Services Insitute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI), for a lecture on Russian geopolitics.
Dr Sutyagin’s expertise on military history, Russian tactics and generally, Russian and international politics made it a very successful event, as witnessed through the various questions asked by the captivated audience.
- Student engagement and networking event at the International Insitute for Strategic Studies(IISS) – Oct. 27, 2017
On October 27, a delegation of 21 members of the KCL GPRIS headed to the IISS headquarters in London for a networking event. While gaining more information on careers in risk and positions specific to the IISS, students were able to meet some of the analysts and get a special insight on what it is to be an IISS member. We are very thankful and grateful to the Institute who provided us with such an opportunity.
- Jaron Lanier on the future of our digital lives (in partnership with Intelligence Squared) – Nov. 13, 2017.
12 lucky members of the GPRIS attended an event exclusive to the society on the future of our digital lives with a special speaker, Jaron Lanier. Lanier talked about the potential virtual reality has to isolate us from each other – and render us even more in thrall to predatory tech companies.
- Discover careers in risk panel: in partnership with King’s Careers & Employability – Nov. 22, 2017
We co-hosted with the King’s Careers & Employability Service a successful Careers in Risk panel, for the second year in a row. This year’s panel presented various careers options and paths into the risk sector. The speakers were:
– Rob Walker: Head of Information, Travel Security International SOS & Control Risks.
– Scott Broughton: Regester Larkin by Deloitte (Deloitte’s Crisis Management and Strategic Risk practice).
– Joe Frederick: Head of Geopolitical Intelligence, Anvil Group International.
– Faraz Nasir – Head of Intelligence & Advisory Services, G4S Risk Consulting